Thursday, February 26, 2009

hoaib Malik denies rift with Younis Khan


Karachi (PTI): Insisting losing captaincy doesn't rankle him, former Pakistan skipper Shoaib Malik said he is more relaxed now and looking forward to playing just as a senior member of the side.

Younis Khan replaced Malik as the skipper of the team after Pakistan were handed a humiliating ODI series defeat by Sri Lanka. Coach Intikhab Alam and the manager Yawar Saeed described him as "a loner who didn't enjoy the confidence of the players".

"I felt it was better for me to go and allow the PCB to appoint a new captain. I have no issues at all. I am feeling more relaxed now and enjoying myself as a senior member of the team and concentrating on my game. My aim right now is to become a regular member of the Test and ODI teams. I am also focusing on my bowling," Malik said in a talk show on Geo Super channel.

Malik vehemently rubbished possibility of any friction between him and the incumbent skipper Younis Khan saying, "I am pleasantly surprised at the way Younis has been treating me. He has been very friendly and communicating all the time.

I am happy to see him doing well." Malik also don't has any hesitation to admit the fact that he was not enough prepared to handle the job of leading the national team. "I was thrust into the job and there is no doubt I was not mature enough at that time for the responsibility.

But I started learning with time and it was a great experience for me. But I have no regrets not being captain because I know I will get another chance in future and I will use my experience then," Malik said.

The senior member of the team is also quite disappointed as Younis fell short of compatriot Hanif Mohammad's national record and West Indies great Brian Lara's 400 during the first cricket Test against Sri Lanka that ended in a draw on Wednesday.

"We were all very disappointed that Younis didn't get the record for the highest score but his achievement of 313 runs is a big one and it made us all proud. It also allowed us to perform well under pressure," he said.

No comments: